Free Money? Yes. See if you qualify!
What is the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)?
- CalEITC is a cash back tax credit that puts money back into the pockets of California’s working families and individuals.
- In its first year, CalEITC boosted the income of about 385,000 families, who shared almost $200 million from the cash-back credit.
- In 2018, more than 1.4 million people claimed the credit, totaling nearly $400 million.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible for the CalEITC if:
- You have earned incomewithin certain limits (see chart below), AND
- You, your spouse, and any qualifying childreneach have a social security number (SSN), AND
- You do not use the “married/RDP filing separate” filing status, AND
- You lived in California for more than half the tax year
- You must be 18 or older at the end of the tax year
Note: Young Child Tax Credit under the CalEITC is applied if you have a child or children under age 6 at the time of filing for taxes. Maximum credit is up to $1,000.
Review the chart below to see if you may be eligible and how much you may qualify for when filing your 2019 tax return.
|Number of Children||Maximum Income||CalEITC*||Federal EITC*|
|3 or more||$24,950||$2,879||$6,431|
Ask your tax preparer if you are eligible for Cal EITC. Better yet, use MYFREETAXES.ORG and do it all online for free!