If you are in need of financial assistance due to disability or other problem, there may be a public benefit to help get you through a difficult time. Thousands of county residents qualify for benefits but are not signed up.

Public Benefits

211 staff can help you determine your eligibility and may be able to enroll you into some benefits simply by dialing 2-1-1.

San Bernardino County Transitional Assistance (TAD) offices can help in person with CalFresh, CalWorks, and Medi-Cal. Here are the locations of the TAD offices.

East Valley
Colton 1900 W. Valley Blvd. (909) 421-3280
Redlands 1811 W. Lugonia Ave. (909) 335-3279
San Bernardino 265 E. 4th St. (909) 252-4903
San Bernardino 2050 N.MassachusettsAve. (909) 475-2089
San Bernardino 1585 E. Highland Ave. (909) 475-7172
Yucaipa 32353 Yucaipa Blvd. (909) 918-2189
West Valley
Fontana 7977 Sierra Ave. (909) 356-3233
Ontario 1627 E. Holt Blvd. (909) 933-5762
Rancho Cucamonga 10825 Arrow Rte. (909) 945-0966
Rialto 1175 W. Foothill Blvd. (909) 347-1253
Desert Areas
Adelanto 10875 Rancho Rd. (760) 530-2908
Barstow 1900 E. Main St. (760) 957-1518
Hesperia 9655 Ninth Ave. (760) 955-5479
Twentynine Palms 73629 Sun Valley Dr. (760) 228-6355
Victorville 15010 Palmdale Rd. (760) 552-6175
Yucca Valley 56357 Pima Trail (760) 228-5328

CALFRESH (aka SNAP and formerly known as Food Stamps) is a program that provides monthly benefits to assist low-income households in purchasing the food they need to maintain adequate nutritional levels. In general, these benefits are for any food or food product intended for human consumption. Benefits may not be used for items such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, or paper products.

To apply by phone, assisted by a live person, call 211.

To apply online for yourself, go to www.c4yourself.com

To apply in person, go to your local Transitional Assistance Department/TAD.

CALWORKS (aka as TANF/AFDC) is a public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible needy California families. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help cover basic needs.

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of California, either pregnant or responsible for a child under 19 years of age, a U.S. national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident, have low or very low income, and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed.

To apply online, go to www.c4yourself.com

To apply in person, please visit your local Transitional Assistance Department/TAD.

MEDI-CAL is California’s Medicaid health care program. This program pays for a variety of medical services for children and adults with limited income and resources. Medi-Cal Managed Care contracts for health care services through established networks of organized systems of care, which emphasize primary and preventive care. The main managed care contractors in San Bernardino County are IEHP and Molina .

In order to qualify for this program, you must be a resident of the state of California, a U.S. national, citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien, in need of healthcare/insurance assistance, whose financial situation would be characterized as low income or very low income. You must also be either pregnant, blind, have a disability or a family member in your household with a disability, be responsible for children under 19 years of age, or be 65 years of age or older.

To apply online, please visit the www.coveredca.com.

To apply in person, please visit your local Transitional Assistance Department/TAD.

SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME/SSI is a federal program that provides monthly cash payments to people in need. SSI is for people who are 65 or older, as well as blind or disabled people of any age, including children.

In order to qualify for SSI, you must have little or no income and few resources, and must also apply for any other government benefits for which you may be eligible. You must live in the United States or the Northern Mariana Islands. If you’re not a U.S. citizen, but you lawfully reside in the United States, you may still be able to get SSI. The state of California adds money to the federal payment. The single payment you get at the beginning of each month includes both the federal SSI payment and your supplement from California.

To apply online, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov.

To apply in person, please visit your local Social Security Administration office.

Or call toll-free 800-772-1213; for the deaf or hard of hearing, call the TTY number 800-325-0778.

CALIFORNIA WEATHERIZATION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM reduces the heating and cooling costs for low-income families by improving the energy efficiency of their homes and ensuring their health and safety. Among low-income households, the program focuses on those with elderly residents, individuals with disabilities, and families with children.

In order to qualify, you must be a resident of the state of California who needs financial assistance for home energy costs, and must also have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below 60 percent of the State’s Median Income. If you receive Supplemental Security Income/SSI or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/TANF, you are automatically eligible to receive weatherization services. Find out more and sign up for the weatherization program at http://www.sbcounty.gov/capsbc/eeeswx.html or call (909) 723-1680.

LIFELINE is the FCC’s program to help make communications services more affordable for low-income consumers. Currently, Lifeline provides subscribers a discount on monthly telephone service purchased from participating providers in the marketplace, including free cellular phones. On March 31, 2016, the FCC approved rules to modernize Lifeline so that subscribers can also purchase discounted broadband from participating providers. Discounts will apply to stand-alone broadband, bundled voice-broadband packages – either fixed or mobile – and stand-alone voice service.

Qualifications: Only one Lifeline benefit is permitted per household. Federal rules prohibit subscribers from receiving more than one Lifeline service. If a subscriber or his or her household currently has more than one Lifeline discounted service, they must select a single provider immediately or be subject to penalties. Only low-income subscribers with proof of eligibility are qualified to enroll. To apply for Lifeline with the assistance of a live specialist, call 211.

To apply for yourself, go to https://www.californialifeline.com .

WOMEN, INFANT AND CHILDREN/WIC is a federal grant program for which Congress authorizes a specific amount of funds each year to assist low income individuals that are nutritionally at risk, such as:

  1. Pregnant women (through pregnancy and up to 6 weeks after birth or after pregnancy ends).
  2. Breastfeeding women (up to infant’s 1st birthday)
  3. Non-breastfeeding postpartum women (up to 6 months after the birth of an infant or after pregnancy ends)
  4. Infants (up to 1st birthday).
  5. Children (up to their 5th birthday).

To apply, contact your local WIC office or call 1-888-942-9675 for additional information.